REACH Scholars are the most important piece of the entire program. REACH Scholars are nominated and selected by the school system and community-based on demonstrated academic promise and commitment. REACH Scholars will be provided with the social and academic support they need to be successful in middle school, high school and in their postsecondary pursuits. Additionally, REACH Scholars are given a college scholarship award upon successful completion of the program through middle and high school.
Scholars sign a contract committing to:
- Maintain strong grades:
- A middle school REACH Scholar must maintain a Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better as calculated by the School System;
- A high school REACH Scholar must maintain a Secondary Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better as calculated by GSFA/GSFC in the same manner as the high school grade point average for initial HOPE Scholarship eligibility (see How the HOPE GPA is calculated); and,
- All REACH Scholars must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and a minimum 2.0 GPA in their HOPE-Eligible Postsecondary Institution.
- Remain drug and alcohol free.
- Meet with his/her assigned REACH mentor for a minimum of eight times per semester.
- Meet with his/her assigned REACH academic coach for a minimum of four times per semester.
- Attend REACH program activities.
- Maintain good attendance and behavior.
- Graduate from high school.
- Enroll in a HOPE-eligible University System of Georgia (USG), Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG), or private postsecondary institution of their choice.